Thursday, January 15, 2009

Preparing to meet my Icon

I met Dr. Sreedharan (Managing Director, DMRC) on 14 Jan 2009. It was one of the most special moments in my life because I have just revered him for so long.
I think I was in tears the day I had seen the FIRST route map of Delhi Metro, when I was still studying in Austin in 2003.
Meeting him was a dream come true... I guess it would be for anyone who believes that "Change can Happen". However, will describe what actually happened at the meeting in my next post. :)





















First Metro Map.

The reply and Meeting Notice I got back from Dr. Sreedharan's office on 31 Dec 2008 in response to my letter to him:



No.DMRC/89/08 Dated: 31.12.2008
Dear Mr. Romi Roy,
A slot of about 20 minutes is made available from 12.00 noon on 14.1.2009. You may get in touch with me or my office in case you have any problem in locating our office which has now been shifted to Metro Bhawan near Shankar Market, Connaught Place.
With regards,
Yours sincerely,
(OSD to MD, DMRC)


To Shri Romi Roy.
_______________________________________________________________________________
My letter to Dr. Sreedharan sent on 29 Dec 2008. The day I emailed this letter, I had mentally decided to stay back in India and work for my city, irrespective of what happened:

Dear Dr. Sreedharan,

I am an architect, urban designer and planner from Delhi. I have worked in India, US, China, Russia, Middle East and other countries for several years and am now deeply interested in "making a difference" in my own country. I currently work with a global firm called Arup (best known for Dongtan EcoCity in Shanghai). We specialize in Urban Planning projects that integrate efficient land use, infrastructure efficiency, economics, micro-climate, sociology, ecology, hydrology and energy efficiency into design, besides other contextual issues.
http://www.arup.com/integratedurbanism
http://www.pnyv.org/index.php?id=34&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=277&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=8&cHash=c0c03521e4

I have been heart-brokenly watching some of the projects coming up in the Station Areas of the Delhi Metro. Station areas of metro stations are like goldmines – they should be developed with very high density mixed use pedestrian and bike-friendly neighborhoods... so that the maximum number of people can walk and bike to metro stations within 5 minutes. In addition, the city should be planning its future land uses (NCRPB, DDA) - in a comprehensive way, with a long range transit plan which should include the Delhi Metro, BRT, Railways and bus routes.

Station Area developments for the Delhi Metro should NOT be a piecemeal or fragmented or unplanned exercises.

As you also know, Metro station sites are also goldmines for private sector investments. Most western countries, as well as Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc. have excelled in leveraging this Private investment for public benefits like building/infrastructure, parks, schools, etc. for the public sector.

As you know very well, currently we don't have any such strategic plan in place - to leverage these investments, or develop transit friendly neighborhoods along metro stations (be it greenfield, infill or redevelopment sites.)

This is critically needed.

After having done several Station Area Strategic Plans in the United States (post-hurricane Louisiana, Austin capital Metro Long Range Transit Plan, etc.) I feel I can help you develop a short & long term strategic plan for DMRC. This will give a very long range benefit to Delhi Metro (like increased ridership, better accessibility, higher and recurring financial returns, etc.) and also set an example for the rest of the city and nation.

In addition, as I mentioned before, I currently work on integrating energy, water, waste and material efficiencies into urban planning and design. Some of the greenfield sites along the stations (like Shastri Park, Dwarka terminal corridor station areas, etc.) can be planned & developed as exemplary projects for India in Green/ sustainable Transit Oriented Development (TOD).

I have prepared a PowerPoint explaining all the above concepts, with executed project examples and modeling data from all over the world, and would like to share those with you in person. I would be grateful if you could give me an appointment to meet you for half hour some day, to take you through this. I could even address a larger group, if you prefer.

Please let me know if you have time,

Thanks and best regards,
Romi Roy
architect . urban designer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/romiroy

"..be the change u wish to see in the world" – Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment