Friday, January 16, 2009

The Day I met Dr. Sreedharan

Dr. Sreedharan (Managing Director, DMRC) gave me a 20 minute appointment to meet at 12 noon on 14 Jan 2009, probably between two more important meetings.

However I felt happy and proud that we actually chatted for 30 mins!

I showed him a customized version of my "Vision for Delhi" PowerPoint focusing on how the Delhi Metro can and must play a key role in shaping a new future for Delhi.

He was already totally on board. But he surprised me tremendously by sounding dejected and hopeless about the city level changes I was proposing. He said he had paid for and sent several senior officers and decision makers to cities like Hong Kong and Singapore to see how an efficient MRTS System had transformed these cities (through Transit Oriented Development).

But apparently it had all come to a full-stop when the issue had reached the doorstep of certain agencies.

It was almost a bit heartbreaking for me to see a great man like this sounding dejected. But luckily it only gave me more determination to actually take the plunge and move back.....

Want to share one of my favourite quotes at this point:
“I really don't think life is about the I-could-have-beens. Life is only about the I-tried-to-do. I don't mind the failure but I can't imagine that I'd forgive myself if I didn't try.”- Nikki Giovanni (African-American Poet, b.1943)

Meeting Dr. Sreedharan gave me the much needed tonic I needed to take some major steps in life. And inspired me to keep working hard even in hopeless situations, and not give up hope. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment